DON’T LET THEM
TAKE YOUR RIGHTS AWAY
Planning: The threat to your rights to stand up for your home and neighbourhood
Intended changes to the planning system (H&F Council website, 18 June 2021)
1. The introduction of a traffic light system which will classify land for either growth, renewal or protection. Land in growth areas will automatically be given planning permission without individual planning consent
2. Planning committees won’t decide applications as they do now, so residents will be less able to comment on specific proposals. Instead, planning inspectors will have discretion over what form an objector’s representations might take.
3. The existing site notice and letter approach will be scrapped in favour of a fully digitised system which could exclude those who are less technologically able.
Some reasons why the government’s changes should not go ahead
MPs’ debate on planning (21 June 2021) voted 231-0 for residents to have their say.
A consultation towards legislation on making it easier to impose mobile phone masts recently closed. (In the 2019 consultation, personal respondents were the largest single group. A large majority, typically 74%, up to 85%, opposed the planning changes (p8).
It would be a betrayal of the assurance in the Government’s 2019 Manifesto:
“We remain committed to devolving power to people and places across the UK.”
The 2019 Manifesto also notes “Having listened to local communities, we have ruled out changes to the planning system. We will not support fracking unless the science shows categorically that it can be done safely.” The same yardstick needs to be adopted for emerging 5G technology, which has not been tested for safety.
The government committed to roll out 5G nationally in 2017 despite the lack of economic justification, concerns about health and insecure communications. The telecom industry wanted public sector support and funding – however the pilot – a police facial recognition system – was ruled illegal as a threat to privacy!
5G is potentially a major part of a population surveillance system (that could be sneaked in under the guise of building ‘Smart Cities’ or ‘The Internet of Things’).
THIS ATTEMPT TO REMOVE OUR RIGHTS COMES AT THE SAME TIME AS A WORRYING BARRAGE OF ATTEMPTS TO RESTRICT OUR FREEDOM AND INCREASE THE POWER OF THE GOVERNMENT
● removing rights to object to unlawful government decisions
● making it easier for government employees to break laws
● removing rights to expose malpractices in government
● restricting the right to free speech
● restricting the right to free assembly and peaceful protest
● introducing an irrational system of ‘medical apartheid’ and population tracking
● engineering social and economic upheaval.
What can I do?
e.g. to Rt Hon Greg Hands, MP for Chelsea with Fulham, House of Commons, London SW1A 0AA (firstname.lastname@example.org).
● We also support the important crowd-funded national legal action actionagainst5g.org - the appeal is still open for donations.